Chinese Braised Daikon Radish
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 green onions , chopped
1 teaspoon ginger , minced
1 pound (450 grams) ground meat (beef, pork, chicken, or turkey)
2 teaspoons Doubanjiang Spicy Fermented Bean Paste
1 Daikon radish about 700 grams / 1 pound
2 cups chicken stock vegetable stock, or water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry) (Optional)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon five-spice powder the homemade version works better
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt or to taste
- Heat a medium-size dutch oven (or heavy duty pot) over medium heat until hot. Add a tablespoon of oil. Add green onion and ginger. Cook for a minute to release the flavor.
- Add ground meat. Cook and stir until surface turns brown.
- Add the doubanjiang. Cook and stir until the meat is evenly coated.
- Add the radish. Cook and stir to mix well.
- Add Shaoxing wine, chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, and five spice powder. Cook over medium high heat until brought to a boil. Turn to medium low heat. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the radish turns tender. Add salt to taste.
Courtesy of: omnivorescookbook.com
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.